Cadiz vs Valencia | LaLiga Santander: The keys to the Cala and Diakhaby case: Presumption of innocence, potential ban of two to five years, Valencia’s risk…

0
6

There are already some concrete things that we know about the incident involving Juan Cala and Mouctar Diakhaby in the 29th minute of the Cadiz vs Valencia match in LaLiga Santander on Sunday.

We know that Diakhaby makes a beeline for Cala, that the referee paused the play, that Diakhaby told the referee he had been called “a shitty black”, that the Valencia players, after hearing this from their teammate, decided to walk off the pitch and that the match was temporarily suspended. This is all known either through the images or what the referee wrote in his report.

A lot happened after this and here comes a look at the key details and potential next steps in the Cala and Diakhaby case.

Valencia left the pitch and then returned

Valencia have spoken about what happened after their players stepped off the pitch at the Estadio Carranza and walked down the tunnel.

Los Che have claimed that there was pressure on them to keep playing, with the threat of a sanction. They also said in a tweet that Diakhaby asked his teammates to go back out.

So, Valencia finished the match, but Diakhaby was substituted off to make for a horrible image of the player who says he received a racist insult being the one sat in the stands while the match continued, eventually finishing 2-1 to Cadiz.

A lawyer’s view

Respected sports lawyer Irene Aguiar has published a comprehensive threat on Twitter discussing various key points of this case.

Firstly, she spoke about the presumption of innocence that Cala is legally entitled to.

“It might be that he said this or it might be that he didn’t,” she started.

“There’s also a possible in between where he may have said something, but not this, and that it was misheard. We’ve had cases of this.

“Rather than making a quick ruling, the right thing to do is to investigate this with all the means of evidence possible, from recordings to testimonies. Then a sanction should be given out in line with the disciplinary procedures.”

Aguiar also explained why Valencia felt the need to return to the pitch, referring to article 77 of football’s disciplinary code, where it is said that a team which leaves an official match will be ruled to have lost that match and also have three further points taken off them in the standings.

In the third key point made in her thread, Aguiar also spoke about possible sanctions facing Cala.

In this case, she refers to article 72 of the RFEF’s rulebook where “insults that hurt a person based on their racial or ethnic origin” are considered serious infractions.

The punishment listed for such cases is the suspension of a player’s license for a period of two to five years, as well as a fine between 18,001 euros and 90,000 euros.

The unknowns and doubts in the Diakhaby case

Until a camera or microphone can shed further light on what happened, all we have at this point are the declarations from those involved.

Cala will speak on the matter in detail during a press conference on Tuesday, but already made some comments to reporters who stopped him leaving the training centre on Monday.

“I’m calm and I’m not going to hide,” he said.

“It seems that there is no presumption of innocence in this country.”

Valencia, meanwhile, made a further statement this Monday as president Anil Murthy stood alongside the player as he spoke about what happened on Sunday.

“I believe my player and everyone who watched the game on television could see that something serious happened, something for which our players left the pitch,” Murthy said.

“You could see the guilty face very clearly on the television too.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here