Connect with us

News

Casey Affleck leads Slingshot cast | Entertainment

Published

on

Casey Affleck is to star in ‘Slingshot’.

The ‘Manchester By The Sea’ actor will be joined by ‘John Wick’ star Laurence Fishburne in director Mikael Håfström’s upcoming psychological sci-fi thriller, with ‘Cruella’ actress Emily Beecham, ‘Fauda’s Tomer Capone and ‘The Walking Dead’s David Morrissey also signing up to be part of the project.

The movie will tell story of an astronaut who struggles to keep his grip on reality during a potentially fatally-compromised mission to Titan, one of Saturn’s moons.

‘Outside the Wire’ director Mikael is delighted with his cast.

He said: “After several years of preparation, it is exciting to take off with this highly talented cast. I am looking forward to the challenge of working within the contained environment of the spaceship.

“The script carves out some excellent characters and, as the story unfolds, some shocking secrets come to light.”

R. Scott Adams and Nathan Parker have written the screenplay for ‘Slingshot’, and principal photography will begin in Budapest, Hungary, on 1 December.

The movie is being made by Astral Pictures in association with Bluestone Entertainment and Hungarian investment fund Széchenyi Funds Ltd.

Bluestone Entertainment CEO Richard Saperstein said of the project: “‘Slingshot’ is a wonderful match of filmmaker and material.

“I thought of Mikael the moment I first read the script. I am thrilled to embark on this production together in Hungary with our partners at Széchenyi Funds, and an incredible cast and crew.”

Casey won an Oscar for his role in ‘Manchester by the Sea’ but has faced allegations of sexual harassment. In 2010, two of his former co-workers on the film ‘I’m Still Here’ filed lawsuits against him, although the 46-year-old actor settled them out of court in the same year.

Casey previously said that the allegations meant that it was best for him to “be quiet” amid the #MeToo movement.

He said: “I really wanted to support all but I felt like the best thing to do was to just be quiet, so that I didn’t seem to be in opposition to something that I really wanted to champion.

“It’s a tough spot to be in, especially if you really do appreciate and want to be a support of the side that seems angriest, and the anger is being directed at you.”

News

Donald Trump denies being ‘bored’ during meeting with Prince Charles – ‘Not at all!’ | Royal | News

Published

on

The former US resident , 75, appeared on GB News for an interview with the UK politician-turned-broadcaster, 57, on Wednesday night. The 45th president of the US spoke about many topical issues from his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, south Florida, including his meeting with Prince Charles, 73.

Mr Farage asked the former president whether he was bored during the meeting after discussing other Royal Family members.

However, Mr Trump denied the claims he was disinterested in meeting the future King.

He said: “No, I wasn’t bored.

“I like Charles. He’s an environmentalist.

READ MORE: Queen wished to leave Obama’s banquet early for hilarious reason

The pair met in 2019 when Trump arrived in the UK for a state visit in the summer and again in December when Trump and the first lady flew to London for a NATO summit.

Despite holding different positions over the issue of the environment, a Clarence House spokesman told CNN at the time Donald Trump and the Prince of Wales have developed a “good working relationship” since the visit.

Mr Farage also brought the Sussexes into the conversation, but the former president was not as keen on the couple as he was Charles.

He told the broadcaster of Meghan Markle: “Not a fan of hers. I wasn’t from day one.”

However, he didn’t hold such reservations for the monarch who he met during the same visit.

He told Mr Farage: “She’s a fantastic woman.

“And we had a great time together and an evening the likes of which you rarely would see.

“She was laughing and smiling, we got along great.

“We talked the whole night. She is a great, wonderful woman.”

Continue Reading

News

Will the Omicron Covid variant cancel Christmas? | News

Published

on

The identification of a new Covid variant has sent shockwaves around the world as leaders scramble once again to close borders and reintroduce measures aimed at slowing the spread of the virus. The World Health Organization has said Omicron poses a very high risk of infection. Its ability to evade Covid vaccines is of particular concern, and the chief executive of the US drugmaker Moderna has warned there is no world where the effectiveness of vaccines is at the same level as with the Delta variant.

The Guardian’s science correspondent Nicola Davis tells Hannah Moore the variant is so new to scientists there is not enough data to predict how serious a threat it could pose, but the next two weeks will be crucial.

However, the emergence of a new “variant of concern” is no surprise. For months scientists have warned that the inequitable distribution of vaccines means that with so many people unvaccinated, there is huge scope for dangerous new variants to mutate.



Woman in a protective suit and mask holding a test tube with a sample suspected to be infected with the Omicron Covid variant. Photograph by Maxym Marusenko/NurPhoto/Rex/Shutterstock

Photograph: Maxym Marusenko/NurPhoto/REX/Shutterstock

Support The Guardian

The Guardian is editorially independent.
And we want to keep our journalism open and accessible to all.
But we increasingly need our readers to fund our work.


Support The Guardian

Continue Reading

News

EU countries should discuss mandatory Covid-19 vaccination: Von der Leyen

Published

on



The European Union (EU) should start a discussion on whether mandatory vaccinations are needed in the fight against the ongoing surge in Covid-19 cases, especially since a third of the EU population had not yet taken the jab, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in Brussels.


Acknowledging that such a decision was “pure member state competence,” she noted that around 150 million people in the EU had not taken the jab.





“I think it is understandable and appropriate to lead this discussion now — how we can encourage and potentially think about mandatory vaccination within the EU,” she added on Wednesday during a news conference.


“We have the vaccines, the life-saving vaccines, but they are not being used adequately everywhere,” she said.


Von der Leyen added that the EU’s main Covid-19 vaccine provider, BioNTech or Pfizer, would have shots available for children in the bloc in two weeks, Xinhua news agency reported.


The Commission President said there was not enough information on the new Covid-19 variant, Omicron, which the World Health Organization said poses a high risk.


“We do not know all about this variant but know enough to be concerned,” she added.


“We know from our experience with the Delta variant that it is a race against time. Till we know more, in two to three weeks, we need to take action. Our best scientists are working day and night. What science tells us already is that full vaccination and boosters give protection against the virus.”


–IANS


int/khz/


 

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Continue Reading

Trending