Connect with us

News

Donald Trump says congressional committee attacking ‘patriots’ and many in Jan 6 riot ‘were Antifa’

Published

on

Donald Trump met Kyle Rittenhouse on Tuesday, the former president revealed, after the 18-year-old rang and asked to meet him.

Rittenhouse, who was acquitted on Friday by a Wisconsin court over the August 2020 shooting of two protesters, was in Florida on Sunday for an interview with Fox News’s Tucker Carlson.

He told Carlson he had previously been considering leaving his Illinois home and living in Naples, Florida, but was now unsure where he would be based.

On Tuesday he was meeting Trump, and the former president told Sean Hannity that the teenager was ‘a fan’ of his.

‘Kyle called. He wanted to know if he could come over,’ Trump said.

‘Really a nice man. He came over with his mother.’

Trump said Rittenhouse should never have been brought to trial, insisting that he acted in self-defense. 

‘That was prosecutorial misconduct,’ said Trump.

‘He would have been dead.

‘He’s a really good young guy. 18 years old. Just left Mar-a-Lago a little while ago.

‘That was prosecutorial misconduct, and it should never have happened.’  

The former president spoke to Fox News’s Sean Hannity from his Florida estate, Mar-a-Lago. 

He accused the January 6 Congressional committee of persecuting ‘patriots’, and said they were not looking into the problem posed by Antifa. 

‘Our country focuses on so many of these fake investigations. And we don’t focus on greatness any longer,’ he told Hannity.

‘Everything is an investigation.

‘This unselect committee – they are treating people horribly.

‘They go after many, many people who are patriots.’

He said many involved in the January 6 riots were Antifa.

‘But they don’t want to cover that.’

He said: ‘You take a look at the crime in these Democrat-run cities, it’s incredible.’ 

Donald Trump appeared on Sean Hannity's show on Tuesday night

Donald Trump appeared on Sean Hannity’s show on Tuesday night

Trump, pictured on December 31, 2020, is weighing up a new run at the White House

Trump, pictured on December 31, 2020, is weighing up a new run at the White House 

Trump, 75, is continuing to tease a run for the presidency in 2024. 

Asked what he would do if he were re-elected, Trump told Hannity he would finish what he started.

‘There are many things I would complete,’ he said, mentioning the border wall and trade deals with Europe.

‘I had to waste a lot of time with fake investigations.’

He said ‘almost all’ media were trying to retract their news stories about the Russia interference in the election, and called on the Pulitzer committee once again to revoke the awards given to the New York Times for their coverage of the meddling in 2016. 

New polling data suggests Trump leads Joe Biden in the five key battleground states narrowly lost by the Republican last year ‒ Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. 

The former president spoke to Sean Hannity on Tuesday night, discussing COVID, foreign policy, energy, the environment and his plans for 2024

The former president spoke to Sean Hannity on Tuesday night, discussing COVID, foreign policy, energy, the environment and his plans for 2024

The poll conducted by Trump’s pollster Tony Fabrizio, and obtained by Politico, sees the margins of Trump’s lead range from three points in Georgia to 12 in Michigan.

Fabrizio told Politico: ‘Poll after poll clearly demonstrates that Trump is still the 800lb gorilla in the [Republican party] and would be its 2024 nominee should he run.

‘This new data clearly shows that today the voters in these five key states would be happy to return Trump to the White House and send Biden packing.’

Nationwide, Biden is currently polling at 42 per cent thinking favorably of his leadership, and 52 per cent unfavorably, according to Real Clear Politics‘ poll of polls. 

Trump is around the same, with 41 per cent favorable and 52 per cent unfavorable. 

And, while he mulls attempting to retake the White House, he is keeping himself in the public conscience through his emailed statements – weighing in almost daily on issues ranging from Kyle Rittenhouse’s acquittal to oil reserves. 

He is also publishing a hardcover collection of hundreds of photographs from his administration, featuring his own captions, some handwritten. 

The book – Our Journey Together – is scheduled for December 7, but not through a traditional New York publisher. 

It will instead be released by a new company formed by son Donald Trump Jr. and campaign aide Sergio Gor, Winning Team Publishing.

”Our Journey Together’ features unforgettable moments from our time in Washington: building the Southern Border Wall; cutting America´s taxes; confirming almost 300 federal judges and 3 Supreme Court justices; rebuilding our military; creating Space Force; dealing with Kim Jong-Un, President Xi, President Putin, and many other world leaders,’ the former president said in a statement Friday.

While Barack Obama, George W. Bush and other recent predecessors of Trump wrote memoirs and announced multi-million dollar deals with Penguin Random House and other publishing houses soon after leaving office, New York publishers have resisted working with Trump – especially after the Jan. 6 siege of the U.S. Capitol by some of his supporters. 

Simon & Schuster dropped a book by one Trump backer, Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri, and faced widespread anger within the company for reaching a deal for a memoir by Trump’s vice president, Mike Pence.

Trump has referred at times to publishing a memoir, ‘the book of all books,’ but has otherwise granted interviews to Michael Wolff, Jonathan Karl of ABC News and others writing about him. 

Should he release a memoir through Winning Team, it would be a test for how a new publisher could manage sales and distribution for a book which could well sell millions of copies.

The web site for Winning Team Publishing offers few details – no masthead or listings for books besides Trump’s. (‘Official Merch’ is ‘coming soon’). 

Gor declined to discuss Winning Team’s plans, but says that additional authors have been signed. 

Winning Team Publishing continues a wave of conservative imprints, among them the Daily Wire’s DW Books and All Seasons Press, formed this year by those who allege they are being ‘silenced’ by mainstream publishers.

Trump’s statement included a link to the company site, where the book can be preordered for $74.99 in standard format (new photo books have been known to sell for anywhere from $40 to more than $150) and $229.99 for a signed copy. 

‘Our Journey Together’ is also listed on Amazon.com, whose founder Jeff Bezos Trump has often attacked, though as of midday Friday it was not available for purchase. 

According to Amazon, the book is 320 pages, with a suggested reading audience of 12 years and up.

News

AIIMS Chief makes worrying statement on vaccine efficacy

Published

on

With over 30 mutations, the new COVID-19 variant called Omicron has already been declared a variant of concern by the World Health Organisation (WHO). Now, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Director Dr Randeep Guleria has noted a worrying possibility of the new variant.

As per Dr Guleria, the Omicron variant’s exceptionally high number of mutations in the spike protein means that the strain can potentially develop an ‘immune-escape mechanism’. Therefore, the AIIMS chief opines, the efficacy of vaccines against the varant will need be be critically examined.

The spike protein if the part of the virus that enabled it to penetrate a host cell and also is being the strain’s transmissibility and infectiousness. Talking to news agency PTI, Dr Guleria said, “The new variant of coronavirus reportedly has got more than 30 mutations at the spike protein region and therefore has the potential of developing immune-escape mechanisms. As most vaccines (work by) forming antibodies against the spike protein, so many mutations at the spike protein region may lead to a decreased efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines.”

He said that the efficacy of all vaccines, including those currently being administered in India, needs to be “critically” evaluated. He further added that data on the Omicron variant’s transmissibility, virulence and immune-escape will determine the future course of action.

The new variant is being closely monitored by the Indian SARS-CoV-2 Genomic Consortia (INSACOG). The Omicron variant has not yet been detected in India, as per officials.

The AIIMS chief stressed on the need to stay vigilant as well as ensuring aggressive surveillance for international travel. He was quoted as saying, “Also, we must ask everyone to religiously follow COVID-appropriate behavior and not let their guards down. Also, it has to be ensured that people get both the doses of vaccine and those who have not yet taken the jab are encouraged to come forward to take it.”

First reported from South Africa and Botswana, the Omicron COVID-19 variant has since been detected in Belgium, Hong Kong, Israel, Germany, Italy and Netherlands. After being first reported on November 24, the variant was desinated by the WHO as a ‘variant of concern’ (VOC) on Friday, November 26.

Meanwhile, the central government urged all states and UTs in India to thorough screening and test all international travelers from South Africa, Botswana and Hong Kong.

Continue Reading

News

Assam reports one fresh death, 133 persons test positive- The New Indian Express

Published

on

By PTI

GUWAHATI: Assam reported one death due to COVID-19 on Sunday, while 133 more persons tested positive, pushing the total number of infections to 6,16,568, the National Health Mission (NHM) said. With one person in Kamrup district losing his life, the total number of deaths rose to 6,092 persons.

The NHM said 1,347 more COVID-19 patients have died till now, but the government’s Death Audit Board has not included them in the tally of deaths caused by COVID-19 as they had other ailments too.

With detection of 133 patients against testing of 20,870 samples on Sunday, Assam reported a positivity rate of 0.64 per cent, the NHM’s daily bulletin said. The state had reported 123 cases on Saturday against testing of 27,202 samples.

At present, the state has a total of 1,344 active cases and they are being treated at different hospitals and Covid Care Centres (CCCs) along with some being in home isolation.

Of the new cases, the highest 110 were detected in Kamrup Metropolitan, followed by seven in Jorhat, four in Nagaon and three in Dibrugarh. During the day, the state reported more recoveries than the number of new infections at 161, the NHM said. In Assam, 6,07,785 COVID-19 patients have so far recovered.

Continue Reading

News

High Alert For Schools, Colleges Over Possible 3rd Wave

Published

on

While Odisha is witnessing a rise in COVID cases at different residential schools and institutions, the emergence of the new SARS-CoV-2 variant B.1.1.529 has triggered scare among students below 18 years old.

The new COVID variant is dubbed as ‘a variant of concern’ by WHO. As stated by health experts, Omicron is more lethal than the Delta variant and the new mutated variant may even infect individuals who have received double dose vaccines.  

Amid the rising fear over Omicron, the Odisha government has decided to intensify its preparations to tackle the situation and prevent the threats of a possible third wave. The government has decided to monitor international travellers.

The State Health Department issued a set of guidelines stating testing, quarantine and genome sequencing mandatory for those coming from outside, particularly from foreign countries. 

Odisha Chief Secretary Suresh Chandra Mohapatra has directed district Collectors, Chief District Medical Officers (CDMO) and Superintendents of Police to remain alert for a possible third wave of the pandemic in the State. He further directed to take immediate actions if any person shows COVID symptoms.

The Chief Secretary has also emphasised on door-to-door vaccination drive and directed to ensure that everyone adheres to the COVID guidelines released by the government. He also ordered to take the violators to task and take stern action against them.

Such directives have been issued following the surge in cases in schools and institutions which have been opened recently.  

State Health Minister Naba Kishore Das said, “We are keeping track of the new variant and monitoring international passengers from South Africa and other places. They will be tested and quarantined. They will also undergo treatment if they develop any symptom. All concerned officials have been directed to remain on high alert.”

Health Services Director Bijay Mohapatra earlier today said that the guidelines issued by the State government are as per the instructions of the Centre. 

“Community surveillance and awareness measures need to be ramped up as they will play a crucial role in tracking down contacts of positive cases. Several measures are still continuing across the State as per protocol to check the spread of the Covid-19,” Mohapatra added.

3rd Wave Scare Looms Over Schools, Institutions

While the scare of a possible third wave is looming over schools across the State, the number of positivity has witnessed a spike recently; especially in the residential institutions and hostels. Recently, COVID positive cases were reported from Burla VIMSAR, Saint Mary Girls High School in Sundergarh and Chamakpur government residential girls school in Karanjia among students as well as the working staff.

The positive cases ‘within campus’ have increased to 150. 

Following the detections of the cases, the campuses have been designated as mini-containment zones and parents have been barred from visiting the hostels.

While parents have expressed concerns over the rising cases in hostels and residential schools/colleges, Mass Education Minister Sameer Ranjan Dash said, “Positive cases have been reported in hostels of a few institutions and immediately those were shut down and were declared as containment zones. The district administrations are keeping vigil eyes on the events and will take action as and when needed. “

Health Expert Dr. Sarat Behera said that COVID cases are on the rise after the lockdown restrictions were lifted. “The State is witnessing a spike in daily cases of positivity. Omicron is more lethal than other variants and people must strictly follow COVID appropriate behaviour,” he said.

It is expected that children below 18 years old are at high risk during the possible third wave of the pandemic as they still remain unvaccinated. Under such circumstances, COVID positivity is increasing in schools and colleges. Health experts have expressed concerns that a minor lapse could cost large.

Continue Reading

Trending