Connect with us

News

Donald Trump Tweeted about ‘Massive Corruption,’ Demanded Recount, Went Golfing

Published

on

In this daily series, Newsweek explores the steps that led to the January 6 Capitol Riot.

The Trump campaign formally requested a recount in the state of Georgia on Saturday, November 21. The day before, Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger had certified President-elect Joe Biden’s win and then Georgia Governor Brian Kemp duly certified the appointment of a slate of electors, but President-elect Joe Biden’s margin of victory was within 0.5 percent, which meant that the campaign had the right to ask for a formal recount.

At this point, the chances of flipping anyone’s electoral votes had dwindled to zero. Trump’s people focused on signature matching for mail-in ballots, but ironically the recount involved only rescanning all of the paper ballots, not addressing the issue of signatures.

But Donald Trump’s strategy had shifted to consolidating his supporters around a general sense of distrust: a belief that there had been cheating and fraud. No one in the White House really believed that there was any way to overturn the election.

Donald Trump golf november 2020 election
As his campaign demanded a recount in Georgia, Donald Trump tweeted about “massive corruption in our Electoral Process.” Then he headed to Trump National Golf Club in Sterling, Virginia.
Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images

During the day, the president addressed his fellow heads of state at a G-20 virtual meeting, reportedly telling them he was looking forward to working with them “for a long time,” which all interpreted as a statement that he was not ready to concede the election. Trump then boasted about the U.S. military, economy, and COVID-19 vaccine development.

Trump tweeted in the third person: “President Trump has done many great things (biggest tax & regulation cuts in history, Space Force, rebuilding our military, fixing the V.A., the Wall), but perhaps the most important of all will be what he is doing now, exposing the massive corruption in our Electoral Process.”

Then he went to play golf at one of his own courses in Virginia.

COVID continued to wreak havoc in the White House. Andrew Giuliani, Rudy Giuliani’s son and a White House aide, tested positive for COVID. So did Donald Trump Jr. “He’s been completely asymptomatic so far and is following all medically recommended COVID-19 guidelines,” a White House statement said.

An organization called Women for America First filed a permit application for a rally to be held at the Lincoln Memorial on December 12, again to protest the results of the 2020 election. (The group’s original application for a rally in Freedom Plaza was denied because of inauguration preparations.)

“Women for America First is a pro-Trump, female led group,” said the Secret Service in a “Protective Intelligence Brief” issued on January 4, 2021. “The group was the center of organization for both the November and December protests. The group plans to host a ‘March for Trump’ bus tour from California to Washington, DC, arriving on the January 6, 2021.”

Its Facebook group called “STOP THE STEAL” had already been shut down, after gaining hundreds of thousands of members in just days. Before its deletion, the group hosted an events section, which publicized rallies organized by multiple groups occurring across the country. Amy and Kylie Jane Kremer, heads of Women for America First, then took a Facebook group called “Boot Pelosi” and rebranded it as a “March for Trump” group. It promoted the November 14 protests and issued a list of recommended influencers, an amalgam of conspiracy theorists, COVID deniers, white nationalists and anti-Islam activists.

Kelly O’Brien, who would later be arrested for her role on January 6, decried in a Facebook group the silencing of pro-Trump groups: “We will not be controlled. It is illegal. We have a duty to Our Country and Our Constitution. TO NOT COMPLY! I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees. PATRIOTS UNTIED [sic].”

Continue Reading

News

Nihangs cast further doubt on Aman Singh, police question his role in Singhu killing

Published

on

Police officials are probing the role of Aman Singh—a Nihang Sikh whose photograph with the agriculture minister Narendra Tomar went viral last month—in the killing of Lakhbir Singh at the Singhu farmers’ sit-in. “Disclosures by other arrested accused in the case say Nihang Aman Singh instigated them,” a police official formerly associated with the inv­­­estigation told me on the condition of anonymity. The official said that Aman is now named as an accused in the case. Aman has claimed to be a founder of a Nihang group called “Misl Shaheed Pyaare Himmat Singh” that is a part of a prominent Nihang group, the Buddha Dal. But members of the Buddha Dal, including a senior leader, told me they were suspicious of Aman and his group. Among other reasons, they said they first heard of him only when the farmers protests gained steam last year, his group appeared to be formed in haste and his past is marred with allegations of criminal activity.

Most of Aman’s responses to the allegations against him were evasive. When I asked him about the allegation that he instigated the accused to kill Lakhbir, Aman said, “I have already cleared everything on this subject. I do not want to talk about this.” Sarabjit Singh, who is among the four arrested for killing Lakhbir, belonged to Aman’s group. As reported by The Caravan earlier, he was seen frequenting the deceased’s village of Cheema Kalan in Punjab in the months preceding the killing, according to two residents of the village. Lakhbir’s sister, Raj Kaur, has consistently maintained that her brother could not have gone to Singhu on his own and that he was lured there by someone. While Nihangs, including Aman, have claimed in the past that Lakhbir was killed for committing sacrilege, they have furnished no evidence to back the accusation.

Interviews with police officials associated with the investigation and multiple Nihang Sikhs of the Buddha Dal revealed curious details about Aman’s background, adding to the many perplexing aspects about Lakhbir’s death. All of them requested anonymity citing the sensitivity of the matter.

According to a senior police official, Aman, also known as Amna, is in his early thirties and grew up in a family of labourers. At the age of 19 or 20, Aman became a Amritdhari Sikh—one who is formally inducted into the Sikh order by partaking in holy water, or amrit. Around that time, Nihangs from Buddha Dal visited his village and Aman joined them. He rarely visited home afterwards, the senior police official mentioned. Aman’s parents have told the media that they evicted him years ago. However, the senior official told me that Aman is still in touch with them.

The senior Nihang leader told me that Aman floated the Misl Shaheed Pyaare Himmat Singh dal, or group, sometime around end October 2020. The farmers’ protests were gaining momentum across the country at that time. The leader said that the ceremony happened at Gurudwara Joda Sahib in Chamkaur Sahib, in Punjab’s Rupnagar district. He added, “A Nihang Dal can only be floated in presence of a huge sangat in a proper ceremony with blessings of other Nihang Dals or jathebandis”—communities. He said that when he and other Nihangs heard about Aman’s dal “we were extremely angered. This man launched his own dal by throwing all norms and traditions to wind.”

When I asked Aman about these details, he did not confirm or deny the senior Nihang’s allegations. Instead, he said, “Baba Maan Singh had told me that ‘you float your own dal, take responsibility for it.’” Maan Singh is the chief of the Buddha Dal. Aman claimed that Maan Singh had told him, “The time is such that many sacrilege cases are happening.”

After Aman’s photo with Tomar surfaced, Maan Singh and others in his dal gave a video statement saying they had nothing to do with him. “On behalf of Babaji”—referring to Maan Singh—“we want to inform everyone that neither did Babaji deploy him on a duty over there and nor is he related to Babaji in any manner. He had made his own group,” the statement mentioned. “Aman Singh is warned by the entire dal and Jathedar Baba Maan Singh and Buddha Dal Nihangs against using the name of Buddha Dal.” When I asked Aman about this, he said, “If Babaji is saying that ‘Aman is not ours,’ I can return home with bare feet, in my two sets of clothes. I have no issue.”

While Aman confirmed that he formed the Misl Shaheed Pyaare Himmat Singh, his exact designation in it remains unclear. The senior Nihang leader added that Aman was a ghorean da jathedar—which roughly translates to deputy chief—of the dal, contrary to multiple media reports that identified him as the chief of the Nihang dal. When I asked Aman for clarity, he replied, “Someone writes jathedar, someone writes mahant … I just do sewa”—selfless service.

Aman was also among the Nihangs who were at the Red Fort during the 26 January tractor rally. That day, thousands of protesting farmers had marched and driven their tractors into central Delhi, with hundreds on foot even reaching the Red Fort. The farmers’ rally witnessed several incidents of lathi charges and tear-gas shelling from the police, as well as attacks on police barricades and personnel by the farmers. “I reached there when some women approached us saying that some youth had been trapped inside the Red Fort and were being assaulted,” Aman said. He also shared a video with me of himself on a horse at the Red Fort that day.  

Since the rally, the senior Nihang leader said, Aman had been donning a farla, a piece of blue cloth sprouting from the top of a Nihang turban. The senior Nihang found this appalling. “For Nihangs, it is equivalent of a Nishan Sahib”—the Sikh flag—he told me. “It is earned after years of hard work including cleaning the stables, taking care of the horses, preparing langar, meditation, studying and exceling in martial arts of Nihangs, et cetera. Once, a Nihang gets a farla bestowed in the presence of the sangat, he is forbidden to even carry the Guru Granth Sahib on his head. Nihangs get it after 20–30 years of dedicated services. Many never even get it. Such a mockery of wearing a farla—a tradition of that was started by none other than Sahibzada Fateh Singh, the fourth and the youngest son of the tenth Guru of Sikhs, Guru Gobind Singh—is being criticised in Nihang circles,” the senior Nihang Sikh said.

Aman confirmed this. “I didn’t start wearing it myself. I was bestowed the honour by baapuji,” he told me. He said he was bestowed the farla sometime around end January or February. Aman said baapuji is Gurnam Singh, who is reportedly the caretaker of Gurudwara Joda Sahib. He added that he even had the support of Maan Singh.

Continue Reading

News

Possible Release Date of This Rumoured Zack Snyder Movie!

Published

on

How much truth is there to the rumor that Ben Affleck has given up the cape and cowl as Batman? Let’s find out.

Ben Affleck has recently spoken about his time at DC and the reason for leaving. Here is a list of everything he discussed.

Related:

Dawn Of Justice

Since Affleck began working at DC, he has continuously collaborated with Snyder in the director’s chair for a movie. The first few minutes of Justice League were also a similar story. However, due to a personal issue in the director’s life, there were issues.

Affleck said that he had more fun making the earlier film.

In a recent interview, Ben Affleck spoke about the filming of Justice League.

The DC Extended Universe’s 2017 superhero film was Justice League. The characters in the film were Affleck as Batman, Cavill as Superman, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, Miller as the Flash, Momoa as Aquaman, and Fisher as Cyborg.

The goal of the film was to create a DC counterpart to the Avengers, but it spectacularly failed.

Mr. Allens believes the film to be haunted by a personal tragedy. This is a personal tragedy for Snyder, who lost his daughter as a result of the accident.

In Affleck’s view, the fact that it was directed by two directors who couldn’t collaborate was a major factor in the film’s failure to live up to expectations.

Why Does Ben Affleck Want To Leave DC?

In his debut film, Affleck enjoyed the superhero genre. While developing Justice League, he lost interest at some point.

that’s why he wants to move on. It’s been a long time since that moment, and Affleck doesn’t feel compelled to keep it going. Superhero films should be made by individuals who are truly enthusiastic about them.

WHEN WILL JUSTICE LEAGUE 2 BE RELEASED? 

First and foremost, let’s get the bad news out of the way. Justice League 2 is not being developed by Warner Bros. Yes, we realize that this entire post is about the sequel, but the studio has expressed no interest in continuing the plot. WarnerMedia CEO Ann Sarnoff told Variety in March 2021 that they’re delighted Snyder was able to finish his trilogy, but that’s where it ends.

“I’m glad they like Zack’s work, and we’re grateful for all of his contributions to DC.” We’re just overjoyed that he was able to bring his version of the “Justice League” to life, as that wasn’t originally planned.”

The Dark Knight is resurrected! The Batman release date has been set.

“With it comes the completion of his trilogy,” she added. We’re ecstatic to have completed this, but we’re even more ecstatic about the plans we have for all of the multi-dimensional DC characters now in development.”

Obviously, this does not mean that the story is over for all of the characters. The Flash will cast Ben Affleck’s Batman alongside Michael Keaton’s Batman, with Ezra Miller repeating his role as Barry Allen. Meanwhile, Patty Jenkins just stated that Wonder Woman 3 is in development, with Gal Gadot reprising her role as Diana Prince. Jason Momoa’s Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, directed by highly renowned director James Wan, is currently in production. As a result, the DC Extended Universe is still alive and well!

Is Still Happening?

According to the original script, a follow-up to Justice League was scheduled for release in June of last year. But we haven’t heard anything about the film since then.

There is no telling whether or not the film will be made now that there has been no new production announcement, and Affleck has moved out of DC.

We may only wait and anticipate. There is no end to human optimism! Isn’t it?

IS THERE A TRAILER FOR JUSTICE LEAGUE 2?

You probably already know the solution to this one. No, there isn’t a Justice League 2 trailer. However, there is an animated Justice League film called Justice League Dark: Apokolips War that plays with similar themes to what Zack Snyder had intended for the sequel.

Let’s watch the trailer of justice league!

Stay tuned for more updates with alphanewscall!

Continue Reading

News

New Covid-19 variant forces postponement of CWC League 2 matches, UAE and Oman return home

Published

on

The UAE has announced the cancellation of all flights coming from South Africa.

Oman
Oman. (Photo Source: Twitter/T20 World Cup)

The Covid-19 pandemic has once again proven to be a roadblock in the cricketing world. The new strain of Coronavirus, called Omicron is spreading in South Africa, and as a result, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the Oman sides will be returning back to their respective countries.

Also, various countries had imposed a travel ban on people from South Africa as well, and this has now resulted in the postponement of the Cricket World Cup (CWC) League 2 matches as well.

The UAE has announced the cancellation of all flights coming from South Africa and there are also several restrictions on the entry of passengers who have come through countries like Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Eswatini and Botswana as well.

Oman and UAE return home on the same chartered flights

The Oman and the UAE cricket teams returned home on the same chartered flights. The Netherlands team meanwhile is still in Pretoria waiting for their departure to their homeland.

Oman and Namibia had locked horns in 2 matches on 26th and 27th November 2021 respectively. While the Namibia side had won the first rubber, beating their opposition by 40 runs, Oman bounced back in the second ODI and beat the Namibia outfit by a slender margin of 9 runs.

These games are a part of the CWC League 2, which should finish before the 2023 World Cup qualifiers tournament. But then, due to the postponement of matches due to Covid-19, the league might not be completed before the scheduled time.

The emergence of the new Covid-19 variant had also forced the postponement of the ODI series between South Africa and The Netherlands as well. Only one out of the 3 scheduled matches between the two sides was completed.

Continue Reading

Trending