George Summers and his theatrical troupe began performing at an open air theatre on the escarpment just beside the top of the Wentworth Street Incline Railway in 1904.
The Summers Stock Company changed the name to the Mountain Park Theatre in 1906, the Mountain Theatre in 1908, and in 1911 to the Summers Mountain Theatre. The group performed every summer through 1914.
On Dec. 21, 1914, the theatre burned to the ground. It was never rebuilt.
The Summers Mountain Theatre was the first large entertainment venue to move to the Mountain. It drew thousands of people to Hamilton’s second tier who would not have gone there otherwise. Although seasonal, the venue, run by George and Belle Summers, was popular and profitable.
1903: An escarpment edge theatre offered a perfect venue for theatre with 700 seats.
August 1904: The Summers Stock Company first performed at the mountain top theatre
1906: Name changed to Mountain Park Theatre
1908: Name changed to Mountain Theatre
July 11,1908: The Spectator reported that George Summers was building a home near the theatre and the family settled in Hamilton
1911: Name changed to Summers Mountain Theatre
1914: George Summers was planning a new 2,000-seat theatre at the same location which would be the largest theatre in Hamilton.
Dec. 21, 1914: The theatre burned to the ground. It was never rebuilt.