A gamer was found dead on his sofa still clutching his Xbox controller after an all-night session.
Simon Lee Shanks and a pal were playing until midnight at his home in Loughor, Swansea.
His friend went to bed and 11 hours later found Simon unresponsive “still on the sofa, in a sitting position, still clutching the Xbox controller”,
Paramedics were called to the home on October 19 last year but despite their best efforts the 43-year-old was pronounced dead just after midday.
An inquest at Swansea Guildhall this week heard after a relationship breakdown Simon had begun “drinking heavily” and suffered from mental health issues but that he had gone “seven years without taking anything”.
His friend had told police at the scene to his knowledge Simon had not taken any drugs during the night and usually slept on the sofa, PC Ben Evans told acting senior coroner for Swansea and Neath Port Talbot Colin Phillips.
He added: “Officers did not find any evidence of drug use. There were no signs of a disturbance or forced entry. While Simon’s death was not suspicious it was unexplained.”
A post-mortem found that Simon had a thickening of the heart while a toxicology report found “therapeutic levels” of prescribed medication as well as levels of methadone, cocaine, and morphine.
The inquest also heard he had “used or been exposed to” cannabinoids.
Recording a drug-related death conclusion Mr Phillips said: “He died on October 19, 2020, at Glebe Road in Loughor as a consequence of an unintentional overdose.”
The Samaritans is available 24/7 if you need to talk. You can contact them for free by calling 116 123, emailor head to the to find your nearest branch. You matter.