Indian dishes are known for their inculcation of a variety of spices in dishes | Photo Credit: Pixabay
- Several herbs have been used for treatment of diseases since ancient times
- Lavender can offer health benefits and its essential oil is widely used in aromatherapy
- The neem leaves can help improve the skin health to a great extent
New Delhi: Nature holds immense potential that may often go overlooked by humans. Various health conditions may be treated through medication and while medications may have an immediate and rapid effect on a type of illness, natural remedies may help provide long term benefits through inexpensive and safer methods. When talking about tapping into natural resources, one must ensure the factor of sustainability. If nature is selflessly providing us, we must make sure that we return the favour and not exploit it.
Must have plants for your garden
Here are some plants that can provide you with immense health benefits:
- Turmeric: It is commonly known as Haldi and is often referred to as the golden spice. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties. Its health benefits may range from reducing the risk of developing cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and brain diseases to providing relief from pain and boosting mood. You can use this by adding it to your dishes or blending it with milk (haldi ka doodh) and drinking it.
- Basil: In India, the Indian Basil is commonly known as tulsi. It is found in almost every Indian household and is also often worshipped. This plant has antioxidant and antibacterial properties. It can help improve digestion, boost immunity and metabolism, and reduce stress. You can use this as a garnish for dishes or add it to your drinks.
- Stevia: This plant is also known as candy leaf and as the name suggests, the leaves of this plant are sweeter than sugar. Due to its sweetness, it is often used as a substitute for sugar for patients suffering from diabetes. You can use it in the form of drops or crushed leaves in your drinks and dishes.
- Garlic: This plant is commonly known as lahsan and is incorporated into various dishes. Apart from enhancing the flavour of the dishes, it can also enhance health by improving digestion, managing blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and preventing diseases caused by brain degeneration. You can eat it raw or consume it by adding it to your dishes.
- Peppermint: In Indian households, peppermint is commonly known as pudina. This antibacterial plant can benefit health by improving digestion, relieving headaches and allergies, and preventing bad breath. You can use this through the application or inhalation of its essential oil, and drinking a cup of tea brewed with peppermint leaves.
A word of caution
As the plants are out in the open for a long time, make sure that you wash and disinfect them thoroughly before using them. The air pollution in the current scenario has made it more essential to ensure the safety of everything that comes from the outdoors.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.
Get the Latest, healthy diet, weight loss, Yoga, and fitness tips, more updates on Times Now