Connect with us

News

Olivia Rodrigo’s ‘Sour’ Scores the Biggest Debut of the Year

Published

on

A year ago, the name Olivia Rodrigo barely registered in the music business. Back then, she was a teenage Disney actress who had moderate success contributing to the soundtrack of her show “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series.”

What a difference a year makes — or even just five months, since her song “Drivers License” exploded in January.

Rodrigo, 18, is now a pop superstar with two No. 1 singles and a blockbuster No. 1 album — a social-media phenomenon following in the footsteps of her idol Taylor Swift, who performs at major awards shows and speaks confidently about her lineage as a songwriter. The Grammy buzz is brewing. (She’s already playing the celebrity-swag-box game.)

Rodrigo’s debut album, “Sour,” opens at the top of the latest Billboard chart with the equivalent of 295,000 sales in the United States, the biggest opening so far this year, according to MRC Data, Billboard’s tracking arm. That total includes 301 million streams, the second-best streaming number for any album this year, behind J. Cole’s “The Off-Season,” which topped last week’s chart. “Sour” is also No. 1 in Britain, Canada, Ireland, Australia and elsewhere around the world, according to Rodrigo’s label, Geffen.

In an era when new albums are typically stuffed with content to maximize their streaming yield, Rodrigo’s and Cole’s albums are unusual: “Sour” has just 11 tracks, and “The Off-Season” 12. By comparison, Morgan Wallen’s country blockbuster “Dangerous: The Double Album” has 30 songs in its standard edition, and it opened with 240 million clicks in January.

Among the other chart factoids for “Sour”: Rodrigo is only the second artist named Olivia to score a No. 1 album in the six-decade history of the Billboard 200, after two in the 1970s by Olivia Newton-John — “If You Love Me, Let Me Know” (1974) and “Have You Never Been Mellow” (1975).

Cole’s “The Off-Season” falls to No. 2 in its second week out, while “Scaled and Icy,” the new album by the alt-pop duo Twenty One Pilots, opens at No. 3 with the equivalent of 75,000 sales, including 33 million streams. Wallen’s “Dangerous,” still a steady hit after 20 weeks, holds at No. 4, and the Memphis rapper Moneybagg Yo is in fifth place with “A Gangsta’s Pain.”

Continue Reading

News

Covid: 12 more test positive at Thane old age home in Thane, tally touches 67 | Mumbai news

Published

on

Twelve more people tested positive for the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) at an old age home in Maharashtra’s Thane district.

With this, the total figure of infected patients in Matoshree old age home in the district’s Bhiwandi taluka climbed to 67, a report by news agency ANI said.

“Around 67 people, including five staff members, were found Covid-19 positive at an old age home in the Bhiwandi area of Thane district,” said Dr Kailash Pawar, civil surgeon of Thane Civil Hospital, adding that of them 59 had been fully vaccinated against virus.

On Sunday, officials said that 55 people were found to be infected at the old age home. The district administration has already declared Sorgaon village in Bhiwandi Taluka, where the facility is located, as a containment zone.

Among the patients, 41 were found to be suffering from co-morbidities, the district administration said in a statement on Sunday.

Thane has so far recorded nearly 5,70,000 cases and 11,581 deaths due to the coronavirus disease. On Sunday, 108 cases were reported while there was no report of fatality.

Besides the Covid-19 cluster in the old age home in the Bhiwandi area, Thane is also staring at a possible outbreak of the omicron variant.

A resident of the Dombivali area in the district, who came back from South Africa on November 24, has tested positive for Covid-19. An official said it is not yet confirmed whether the man was carrying the variant.

The man didn’t come in contact with anyone after returning from South Africa, Dr Pratiba Panpatil, medical officer of the Kalyan-Dombivali Municipal Corporation (KDMC), told reporters on Sunday.

Dr Panpatil said the patient has been admitted to the Art Gallery isolation centre of the KDMC.

Meanwhile, the Maharashtra government is likely to impose a seven-day institutional quarantine for passengers arriving directly from South Africa or transiting through the country.

(With agency inputs)

Continue Reading

News

Emmerdale teases Aaron Dingle’s exit plot after murder as Danny Miller quits ITV soap

Published

on

Emmerdale’s Aaron Dingle actor Danny Miller recently quit the ITV soap after 13 years in the role, and now his final scenes may have been teased

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Emmerdale: Meena brutally murders Ben

Emmerdale has teased Aaron Dingle’s exit storyline on the ITV soap, following a devastating murder in the village.

Actor Danny Miller announced his exit from the show after 13 years earlier this month, leaving fans devastated.

New spoilers for the show confirm Aaron struggles in the days to come, following the killing of his boyfriend Ben Tucker.

Things are heightened as despite serial killer Meena Jutla being the culprit, Aaron’s sister Liv Flaherty seems to be blamed as she faces court and a possible prison sentence.

Liv had fought with Ben just prior to his death, as she continues her battle with alcoholism, and things got heated.







Emmerdale has teased Aaron Dingle’s exit storyline on the ITV soap
(

Image:

ITV)

With Liv having a motive and believed to be the last person to see Ben alive, Aaron is torn after months of trying to support his sibling through her drinking battle.

It seems he’s had enough though as he struggles with recent events, and next week it sounds like he has an exit in mind.

He concerns his mother Chas that he’s going to do a runner, as he asks to be alone and says he isn’t sure he can be there for Liv.







Liv had fought with Ben just prior to his death
(

Image:

ITV)

As the siblings finally come face-to-face, it sounds like a final goodbye as he tells Liv they bring each other down, and that he can’t stand by her any longer.

Grief-stricken over his loss, he sparks concern with the Dingles with his behaviour with him telling his sister he hasn’t got the strength to keep supporting her.

She pleads with him to reconsider his decision, but will he change his mind or is this the moment he leaves the village for good?







Ben was killed by killer Meena Jutla
(

Image:

ITV)

It comes after actor Danny confirmed his exit ahead of him joining Ant and Dec’s I’m A Celebrity 2021, which has been off air all weekend because of fears over Storm Arwen.

Speaking to the Mirror at a press roundtable event earlier this month, he explained that he was “very emotional” about his decision and that it had been a “big part” of his life.

He cited the tough soap filming schedules as one of the reasons he wanted to leave and said that he wanted to be around more for his family.






Danny Miller is on I’m A Celebrity 2021

“I’d like to think that I’m very, very far away from Aaron and that’s part of the reason why I wanted to do this show. I’ve actually left Emmerdale, unfortunately, and I’ve decided to start a new path in life,” he said. “I’ve got my baby now and I’m getting married next year and it’s felt like the right time to open a new chapter in my life – god, my nerves are going because I’ve not really told anybody!

“I’m very emotional about it, actually. It’s been a massive part of my life and it’s taught me lots of things. I’ve been wanting to spread my wings for a while and a show like this gives me the opportunity to see what else happens after it and kind of start a new life with my family and see what happens.

“Obviously, [I’m A Celebrity] is a fantastic money earner – not gonna lie – and it gives me the chance to at least be off for a year and next year if nothing happens and I’ll be comfortable with my family and I’m hoping stuff does happen and new jobs come up, but we shall see. “

Emmerdale airs weeknights at 7pm on ITV, with an extra episode at 8pm on Thursdays.

Read More

Read More

Continue Reading

News

Alia Bhatt announces Rocky Aur Rani Ki Prem Kahani release date with video, watch Jaya Bachchan recreate K3G scene

Published

on

Actor Alia Bhatt announced the release date of her upcoming film, Rocky Aur Rani Ki Prem Kahani, directed by Karan Johar. The film will hit the screens on February 10, 2023. The announcement was accompanied by a video, showcasing a montage of some behind-the-scenes clips. We got a glimpse into Dharmendra, Ranveer Singh, Jaya Bachchan, Shabana Azmi and Alia’s characters as Karan Johar directs them, as well as the fun that ensues backstage.

Alia captioned her post, “Loading it up with music, dance, an ensemble cast, a dash of drama and a whole lot of love just for you! #RockyAurRaniKiPremKahani releasing in cinemas on 10th February, 2023! See you there to make this kahani complete.” The team has completed 50 days of shoot. In the video, Alia sports stunning sarees, while Jaya Bachchan does aarti ritual — reminding many of her role in Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. Karan Johar is seen explaining scenes to the cast, and there’s much hugs, love and laughter.

Ranveer also announced the film’s release date. He wrote, “Isse kehte hai full entertainment ka dhamaka!
We’re coming to you with love in our hearts blessed with parivaar ke sanskaar. #RockyAurRaniKiPremKahani releasing in cinemas on 10th February, 2023! #RRKPK.”

Going by the little that we see, the cast already has strong chemistry. Dharmendra, had earlier praised Ranveer Singh. He told Times Of India, “Ranveer looks so natural in all his films. Bada hi pyaara ladka hai (He is such an adorable boy). Whenever we bump into each other at a function, woh aake mere paas baith jaata hai (he sits beside me). Likewise, Alia is also brilliant at her work,” he stated. The film was announced on Ranveer Singh’s birthday. In one of the scenes, Ranveer is seen kissing Dharmendra’s hands while Jaya looks on. The film is again set in a lavish house, a staple for Karan Johar’s brand of cinema.

Continue Reading

Trending