Every week there’s optimism for the box office to return to normal and every week the numbers don’t live up to expectations. Granted, Spiral: From the Book of Saw, was never going to be a huge hit, even under normal circumstances — it’s essentially the ninth entry in a franchise that hit its peak over 15 years ago — but $8.7 million is still well below the $13-15 million 3-day haul many analysts predicted.
Likewise, new releases Those Who Wish Me Dead, starring Angelina Jolie, collected $2.8 million, while Zack Snyder’s Army of the Dead managed $780K. In both instances, streaming played a significant role in the diminutive box office. Those Who Wish Me Dead, which is actually pretty great, was released simultaneously on HBO Max, while Snyder’s Army of the Dead will be available this week on Netflix.
Considering AOTD only released on 430 theaters, that number is actually decent. Not great, but decent. Snyder’s zombie epic will hopefully attract a larger audience on Netflix.
As for the box office, don’t fret, for anticipated releases such as A Quiet Place Part II, Cruella, and The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It should re-ignite the cineplex in the coming weeks. However, it’s possible that audiences have grown accustomed to watching movies at home, and expectations at the box office will have to be shifted. Time will tell, but the next month will be very interesting to watch.
The only other notable news was Wrath of Man and Peter Rabbit 2’s overseas grosses. The Jason Statham action pic has collected $41.4 million internationally for a $56 million global total, while the family sequel pulled in $3.1 million from eight markets to bring its offshore total to $21.1 million ahead of its UK rollout which begins this week.
DOMESTIC BOX OFFICE TOP 10
1) Spiral (LG) 2,811 theaters Fri $3.7M/Sat $3M/Sun $1.9M/3-day $8.7M Wk 1
2) Wrath of Man (UAR) 3,007 theaters (+132), Fri $1.05M/Sat $1.6M/Sun $1.1M, 3-day $3.7M (-55%), Total: $14.6M Wk 2
3) Those Who Wish Me Dead (WB) 3,188 theaters, 3-day $2.8M Wk 1
4) Demon Slayer (Fun/Ani) 1,930 theaters (-170), Fri $513K/Sat $796K/Sun $461K, 3-day $1.77M (-36%), Total: $41.9M Wk 4
5) Raya and the Last Dragon (Dis) 2,285 theaters (-30), Fri $395K/Sat $760K/Sun $563k 3-day: $1.718M (-11%), Total: $46.1M Wk 11
6) Godzilla vs. Kong (WB/Leg) 2,484 theaters (-221), 3-day: $1.46M (-27%), Total: $95M Wk 7
7) Mortal Kombat (New Line/WB) 2,465 theaters (-508), 3-day $1.32M (-45%), Total: $39.9M Wk 4
8) Finding You (RSA) 1,312 theaters (-125), Fri $327,5K/Sat $368,6K/Sun $258K, 3-day: $954K Wk 1
9) Army of the Dead (Netflix) 430 theaters, Fri $265K/Sat $323K/Sun $192K, $780K Wk 1
10) Profile (Foc) 2,033 theaters, Fri $260K/Sat $260K/Sun $150K, 3-day: $670K Wk 1