Connect with us

News

Trump allies leaning on his executive privilege claims

Published

on

Former President TrumpDonald TrumpRittenhouse says Biden defamed his character when linking him to white supremacists Overnight Health Care — White House touts vaccine rate for feds Trump endorses challenger to Hogan ally in Maryland governor’s race MORE‘s inner circle is leaning on unanswered legal questions about the scope of his authority to invoke executive privilege in their defiance of the House Jan. 6 select committee’s subpoenas.

The former aides and advisers are following the example set by Trump, who is fighting in court to block the panel from obtaining hundreds of pages of internal White House records and arguing that he has the right as a former president to keep them out of Congress’s hands.

Lawyers for former White House chief of staff Mark MeadowsMark MeadowsJan. 6 panel subpoenas Roger Stone, Alex Jones Christie: McCarthy, not Trump, will be the next Speaker Lofgren: Many Jan. 6 panel witnesses are former Trump officials MORE and former strategist Steve BannonStephen (Steve) Kevin BannonChristie: McCarthy, not Trump, will be the next Speaker Lofgren: Many Jan. 6 panel witnesses are former Trump officials Jan. 6 panel may see leverage from Bannon prosecution MORE argue that it would be premature to comply with the subpoenas before the courts can address the dispute over the scope and weight of Trump’s executive privilege claims.

Democrats dispute the rationale offered by the Trump camp, accusing them of seeking to delay or stymie the Jan. 6 investigation, but the deadlock is raising the stakes for the committee as it seeks a quick and decisive court victory to secure the internal White House records. A ruling against the lawmakers could have a cascading effect among their would-be witnesses and sources.

The crux of Trump’s suit isn’t about his former aides but about his presidential records, held by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), which had been set to release a sweeping trove of documents covering every top staffer and even Trump’s family on Jan. 6 following approval from President BidenJoe BidenRittenhouse says Biden defamed his character when linking him to white supremacists Man accused of threatening Congress sentenced to 19 months in prison 91 House Dems call on Senate to expand immigration protections in Biden spending bill MORE.

But lawyers for those aides say that the former president’s lawsuit will resolve unanswered questions about the weight of Trump’s executive privilege claims now that he’s no longer in office and provide legal clarity for how they should proceed in regards to the committee’s subpoenas.

Evan Corcoran, Bannon’s defense lawyer in the criminal contempt proceedings that the Justice Department brought earlier this month for defying a subpoena, told a federal judge last week that his client’s case should not be rushed, partly because Trump’s lawsuit will guide Bannon’s legal defense.

“It’ll be useful as we’re shaping the arguments in the briefs for our motions practice to have the benefit of the judicial record and determinations that are made in that matter,” Corcoran said during a pretrial hearing earlier this month.

George Terwilliger, a former deputy attorney general under the George H.W. Bush administration who’s representing Meadows, has said that the sharp dispute over the scope of executive privilege between the select committee and Trump’s inner circle should be aired in court.

“Our correspondence over the last few weeks shows a sharp legal dispute with the committee,” Terwilliger said in a statement earlier this month. “The issues concern whether Mr. Meadows can be compelled to testify and whether, even if he could, that he could be forced to answer questions that involve privileged communications. Legal disputes are appropriately resolved by courts. It would be irresponsible for Mr. Meadows to prematurely resolve that dispute by voluntarily waiving privileges that are at the heart of those legal issues.”

House Democrats have dismissed those objections as an effort to hinder the select committee’s investigation ahead of next year’s midterm elections, which could bring the probe to an abrupt halt if Republicans recapture the lower chamber, as many poll watchers expect.

“That’s the same stall tactic that they’ve had for weeks,” said Rep. Pete AguilarPeter (Pete) Ray AguilarAll eyes on Garland after Bannon contempt vote First senator formally endorses Bass in LA mayoral bid Bass receives endorsement from EMILY’s List MORE (D-Calif.)

“They’re going to continue to, you know, make up reasons not to have conversations with us. It’s not a new argument.”

For Meadows, the dance around whether to appear for a deposition has been going since he was first subpoenaed in September, “engaging” with the committee past his initial October deposition date until lawmakers lost patience and demanded November testimony, for which the former chief of staff failed to appear.

Meadows now risks the same consequences as Bannon if the select committee chooses to hold him in contempt and the House refers him to the Justice Department for prosecution for criminal contempt of Congress.

Rep. Jamie RaskinJamin (Jamie) Ben RaskinOversight panel eyes excessive bail, jail overcrowding in New York City Jan. 6 panel may see leverage from Bannon prosecution Maryland Democrats target lone Republican in redistricting scheme MORE (D-Md.), who sits on the committee, said the NARA case and the question of witness compliance “have nothing to do with each other.”

“That’s just obfuscation. That’s just confusion,” he told reporters last week.

The committee scored a swift initial victory in the NARA case earlier this month, with a federal judge rejecting Trump’s lawsuit to keep the records under wraps.

The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals has granted Trump a brief reprieve by temporarily blocking NARA from turning over the records while it hears the legal challenge, which could soon head before the Supreme Court.

But the D.C. Circuit also set a swift pace for Trump’s appeal, with oral arguments to be heard on Nov. 30, making it unclear just how long the former president will be able to run out the clock.

Democrats say that Trump and his allies are pushing a maximalist interpretation of executive privilege that is at odds with the law and how it has been employed by previous administrations. Raskin said that the Trump camp’s arguments about the privilege would expand it “beyond any credulity.”

“To say that it would apply would mean that there’s an executive privilege covering insurrectionary activity in the country. Do we really want to say that there’s an executive privilege for people to try to overthrow the U.S. government … I mean, it’s just ridiculous. It makes the Constitution sound like some kind of death warrant for the democracy, and we know it’s not that.”

“Anybody who was subpoenaed by a court or by the U.S. Congress to appear at a time and date certain with particular materials has a legal obligation to do that,” Raskin said. “You can’t blow off a subpoena and you can’t stay home and sit on your couch and talk to people about the Fifth Amendment or executive privilege, but not show up. You have a legal duty to show up.”

Whether former aides are obligated to comply with the subpoenas may only be partially settled by Bannon’s prosecution.

Bannon was not a White House employee on Jan. 6, leaving lawmakers confident he has little chance of prevailing in court, even as his legal team argues that executive privilege remains a valid excuse for defying the committee because presidents must feel free to consult their former aides.

And it’s still an open question whether Bannon will stand trial soon enough for the committee to point to his case as a way to deter witnesses from defying its subpoenas.

Less clear is whether the committee has an open and shut case with Meadows, who was still serving in the White House on the day of the attack.

Lawmakers largely dodged that question when asked by reporters if the committee will have a more difficult time seeking to enforce the subpoena against Meadows.

“Mr. Meadows has clear information that the committee needs and the committee will get access to that information and nobody can hide behind claims of executive privilege when you’re talking about an assault on the Capitol that was a clear effort to stop the democratic process of counting electoral votes,” Vice Chair Liz CheneyElizabeth (Liz) Lynn CheneyTwo Fox News contributors quit over Tucker Carlson’s Jan. 6 documentary Trump throws support behind Gosar after censure vote McCarthy pledges to restore Greene, Gosar to committees if GOP wins House MORE (R-Wyo.) told reporters last week.

How the D.C. Circuit, and potentially the Supreme Court, decides Trump’s legal challenge against the committee’s document request could help shape the course and effectiveness of the investigation. In an appeals brief filed on Monday, lawyers for the select committee argued that the records are vitally important and of the utmost urgency.

“Delay itself would inflict a serious constitutional injury on the Select Committee by interfering with its legislative duty,” the filing reads. The Select Committee needs the documents now because they will shape the direction of the investigation.”

News

OTS scheme for defaulting e-way plot allottees extended up to Dec 31 | Noida News

Published

on

Greater Noida: The one-time settlement scheme launched by the Yamuna Expressway Authority for defaulting property allottees has been extended up to December 31. The scheme was drawing to a close on November 30, but the extension of another month has been provided to the allottees to seek the benefits being offered, officials have said.
More than 32,000 allottees stand to benefit through the scheme that was launched on October 1. The scheme is open for allottees under all the seven categories — residential, build-up housing scheme, institutional, industrial, commercial, mix-land use and abadi plots. For the first time, YEIDA had agreed to waive off the compounded penal interest component on the entire dues and levy only simple interest.
But instead of offline mode, the scheme was offered through a web portal. However, for the first fortnight or so, the portal did not function properly. “We told YEIDA to resolve the technical snags. Allottees were unable to submit their details online and whatever was entered could not be saved as draft,” said general secretary of the Yamuna Expressway Entrepreneurs Association, Rishabh Nigam.
Chief executive officer of the Authority, Arun Vir Singh said, “We are going to press only 8.50% simple interest to calculate the land premium dues. Some allottees sought more time to arrange for funds and hence we have extended the deadline.”
An applicant having dues up to Rs 50 lakh will have to pay up one-third of the restructured amount within a month and the balance two-third within three months. Those having more than Rs 50 lakh to settle will also have to pay up a third of the amount within a month. However such allottees will be given six months to pay up the remaining sum.

Continue Reading

News

Tesla’s Giga casting strategy to be adopted by half a dozen other automakers

Published

on

Tesla’s approach to using giant casting machines, nicknamed Giga Press, to make car bodies with just a few massive casted parts is catching on in the auto industry.

A Tesla supplier says that it is working with about half a dozen other automakers taking the same approach.

Over the last few years, Tesla has been heavily investing in casting and alloy technology to enable larger casted parts that have the capability to greatly simplify manufacturing.

The company acquired several units of the biggest casting machines in the world. They have been deployed at Tesla’s factories in the US, Berlin, and China.

Tesla has already been producing the Model Y with a single rear body piece that replaced 70 different parts in the vehicle.

Earlier this year, a picture of the first single front casting part of the Model Y produced at Gigafactory Texas leaked.

Last month, we reported that Tesla produced the first Model Y with both front and back single-piece casting.

The strategy to greatly reduce the number of pieces to make a car body results in a massive reduction in the complexity of the body line and the capital needed to build the production line.

It also brings weight advantage to the vehicle itself, which in turn can improve efficiency. However, it’s not all advantage.

Some people in the industry have been critical of the cost associated with potential repair in the event of an accident. This is led to questions whether Tesla is leading a new way for the auto industry to build cars in the future or if it was a fool’s errand.

But now it looks like some other automakers are willing to give it a shot, especially in China.

The New York Times published a report on Liu Siong Song, an engineer behind LK Technology, a partner in Tesla’s casting technology.

Liu said that he is working with six Chinese automakers to deploy similar casting technology as soon as next year:

“In addition to Tesla, LK will supply similar giant casting machines to six Chinese companies by early 2022 as more automakers adopt Tesla’s way of making cars, Mr. Liu said.”

However, the engineer suggests that they might run into some issues:

“For all China’s progress, it still has a long way to go. LK hopes to deliver the same types of casting machines to many Chinese companies in the next two years. But some of those companies are struggling to find car designers of the type and talent that Tesla has aplenty. Without the designs, LK can’t deliver the machines.”

Aside from designs, other automakers might also run into some issues with materials.

Tesla has long invested in material science to develop its own alloys to support such large casting parts. The automaker even partnered with SpaceX to share material science talent to develop those alloys.

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.


Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe to the podcast.

Continue Reading

News

Entertainment District Arc Release Date & What to Expect

Published

on

Demon Slayer rounded out its Mugen Train Arc on Nov. 28, bringing Tanjiro’s mission with the Flame Hashira to a bittersweet end. Although “Set Your Heart Ablaze” will no doubt have fans feeling emotional, the conclusion of this arc also gives them a reason to be excited. The anime will officially move into never-before-seen territory with its next episode, which will kick off Demon Slayer Season 2’s Entertainment District Arc. What can fans expect from this new chapter, and when will it begin?

When does ‘Demon Slayer’s Entertainment District Arc start?

Official poster art for the 'Demon Slayer' Season 2 Entertainment District Arc being adapted from the manga to the anime.

Official art for ‘Demon Slayer’s Entertainment District Arc | ©Koyoharu Gotouge/SHUEISHA, Aniplex, ufotable

RELATED: ‘Demon Slayer’: How Many Arcs Does the Manga Have in Total? There’s Virtually No Filler

Continue Reading

Trending